Vijayachitra Modhukur, Postdoctoral fellow
To understand the epigenetic changes, particularly DNA methulation changes in diabetes using bioinformatics and statistical approaches. Some of the analysis includes:
- Analyze DNA methylation in human subjects profiled using the methylation miroarrays or whole genome bisulfite sequencing approach. Vijayachitra will use exisiting approach in combination with customized bioinformatics pipeline to study the association between DNA methlation and phenotype of interest.
- Analysis of transcriptome data profiled using RNA sequencing.
- Application of machine learning approaches to multiomics analyses.
- Bioinformatics analyses of Ch-IP-seq data to understand histone modifications and transcription binding factors.
Background and techniques/experience
Vijayachitra completed her doctoral studies with the title "Profiling of DNA methylation patterns as biomarkers of human disease" from University of Tartu, Estonia. In her thesis she addressed the question of how DNA methylation patterns can be used as biomarker candidates, as abnormal methylation patterns are studied for early detection, diagnosis and prognosis of disease outcome as well as therapy management.
- M. Lundborg, V. Modhukur, and G. Widmalm. Glycosyltransferase functions of E. Coli O-antigens, Glycobiology. 2010 Mar 1;20(3):366-8.
- K. Lokk, V. Modhukur, B. Rajashekar, K. Märtens, R. Mägi, R. Kolde, M. Koltšina, T. K. Nilsson, J. Vilo, A. Salumets, and N. Tõnisson. DNA methylome profiling of human tissues identifies global and tissue-specific methylation patterns. Genome Biology. 2014 Apr 1;15(4):1.
- P. Pappu, D. Madduru, M. Chandrasekharan, V. Modhukur, S. Nallapeta, and P. Suravajhala. Next generation sequencing analysis of lung cancer datasets: A functional genomics perspective, Indian Journal of Cancer. 2016 Jan 1;53(1):1.
- M. Saare*, V. Modhukur*, M. Suhorutshenko, B. Rajashekar, K. Rekker, D. Sõritsa, H. Karro, P. Soplepmann, A. Sõritsa, C. M. Lindgren, N. Rah- mioglu, A. Drong, C. M. Becker, K. T. Zondervan, A. Salumets, and M. Peters. The influence of menstrual cycle and endometriosis on endometrial methylome. Clinical Epigenetics. 2016 Jan 12;8(1):1.
- V. Kukushkina*, V. Modhukur*, M. Suhorutshenko, M. Peters, R. Mägi, N. Rahmioglu, A. Velthut-Meikas, S. Altmäe, F. J. Esteban, J. Vilo, K. T. Zondervan, A. Salumets, and T. Laisk-Podar. DNA methylation changes in endometrium and correlation with gene expression during the transition from pre-receptive to receptive phase. Scientific Reports. 2017 Jun 20;7(1):3916.
- V. Modhukur, T. Iljasenko, T. Metsalu, K. Lokk, T. Laisk-Podar, and J. Vilo. MethSurv: A web-tool to perform multivariable survival analysis us- ing DNA methylation data. Epigenomics. 2018 Mar;10(3):277-288.