The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Default user image.

Carina Törn


Default user image.

Prognostic factors for the course of β cell function in autoimmune diabetes


  • C. Törn
  • M. Landin-Olsson
  • Å Lernmark
  • J. P. Palmer
  • H. J. Arnqvist
  • G Blohmé
  • F Lithner
  • B. Littorin
  • L. Nyström
  • B. Scherstén
  • G. Sundkvist
  • L. Wibell
  • Jan Östman

Summary, in English

This study presents a 2-yr follow-up of 281 patients, aged 15-34 yr, diagnosed with diabetes between 1992 and 1993. At diagnosis, 224 (80%) patients were positive for at least one of the following autoantibodies: islet cell antibodies (ICAs), glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies (GADAs), or tyrosine phosphatase antibodies (IA-2As); the remaining 57 (20%) patients were negative for all three autoantibodies. At diagnosis, C-peptide levels were lower (0.27; 0.16-0.40 nmol/L) in autoantibody-positive patients compared with autoantibody-negative patients (0.51; 0.28-0.78 nmol/L; P < 0.001). After 2 yr, C-peptide levels had decreased significantly in patients with autoimmune diabetes (0.20; 0.10-0.37 nmol/L; P = 0.0018), but not in autoantibody-negative patients. In patients with autoimmune diabetes, a low initial level of C-peptide (odds ratio, 2.6; 95% confidence interval, 1.7-4.0) and a high level of GADAs (odds ratio, 2.5; 95% confidence interval, 1.1-5.7) were risk factors for a C-peptide level below the reference level of 0.25 nmol/L 2 yr after diagnosis. Body mass index had a significant effect in the multivariate analysis only when initial C-peptide was not considered. Factors such as age, gender, levels of ICA or IA-2A or insulin autoantibodies (analyzed in a subset of 180 patients) had no effect on the decrease in β-cell function. It is concluded that the absence of pancreatic islet autoantibodies at diagnosis were highly predictive for a maintained β-cell function during the 2 yr after diagnosis, whereas high levels of GADA indicated a course of decreased β-cell function with low levels of C-peptide. In autoimmune diabetes, an initial low level of C-peptide was a strong risk factor for a decrease in β-cell function and conversely high C-peptide levels were protective. Other factors such as age, gender, body mass index, levels of ICA, IA-2A or IAA had no prognostic importance.


  • Medicine, Lund

Publishing year







Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism





Document type

Journal article


Oxford University Press


  • Endocrinology and Diabetes




  • ISSN: 0021-972X