Circulating cytokines reflect the expression of pro-inflammatory cytokines in atherosclerotic plaques.
- Cardiovascular Research - Immunity and Atherosclerosis
- EXODIAB: Excellence in Diabetes Research in Sweden
- EpiHealth: Epidemiology for Health
Publishing year: 2015
Document type: Journal article
Inflammation is a key factor in the development of plaque rupture and acute cardiovascular events. Although imaging techniques can be used to identify vulnerable atherosclerotic plaques, we are lacking non-invasive methods, such as plasma markers of plaque inflammation that could help to identify presence of vulnerable plaques. The aim of the present study was to investigate whether increased plasma levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines reflects inflammatory activity within atherosclerotic plaques.
- Cardiac and Cardiovascular Systems
- Cardiovascular Research - Immunity and Athersosclerosis
- ISSN: 1879-1484
E-mail: andreas [dot] edsfeldt [at] med [dot] lu [dot] se